A complete remodel of a Sears department store built in 1929, the new home for Portland’s regional government agency exemplifies adaptive reuse and sustainable design. Consistent with TVA’s modernist approach, the design intent was to set the building apart from other governmental agencies. In addition to being visually accessible and tying together five previous remodels, the renovation became a demonstration project for reuse and recycling.
Demolishing the center bay, TVA created a light-filled atrium and interior circulation spine flanked by offices and conference rooms. An articulated rhythm of glass and aluminum window bays was created to afford views and abundant natural light. Retail opportunities were placed at sidewalk level. Trellised roof terraces, and the redevelopment of the existing water tower for employee lounges and a conference room cap the building.